We are an all-volunteer San Diego County organization concerned about climate change. Come to a meeting or contact us via email to volunteer on a project.
- Strengthening the City of San Diego’s Climate Action Plan (CAP)
- Community Outreach and Education
- Fighting the Keystone Pipeline
- Building support for a fracking ban in California
- Assisting with Development of Community Choice Energy in San Diego
1. Strengthening the City of San Diego’s Climate Action Plan
We are working to strengthen the draft “CAP” that the City of San Diego is poised to adopt in San Diego. Past iterations of the plan, which the city is required to undertake in order to plan how it addresses climate change, failed to reduce greenhouse gases to meet state goals and to address what will need to be done to adapt to the changes that are already happening in our area, including more intense and frequent coastal flooding, wildfires, water shortages, and heat waves. We are working to gather people to be present at the CAP meetings in committee and the full City Council to submit comments, hold signs, and speak before the council committee. Learn more. How you can help: Come to the City Council and Committee meetings and voice your concerns (meetins are at the City Administration Building, 202 C Street, San Diego 92101, 12th Floor). Contact your councilperson prior to the vote. Email Emily for more information.
2. Community Outreach and Education
One of our key goals is to reach out to and educate San Diegans about the science, impacts and solutions of climate change. Our efforts to date include:
- Tabling – staffing booths at fairs, festivals, farmers markets, you name it.
- Community presentations – giving presentations at libraries, churches, neighborhood clubs, political clubs and more. Email us to request a presentation.
- Climate chats – educational events on a variety of climate topics that foster discussion and networking.
3. Fighting the Keystone Pipeline
SanDiego350 has held several large rallies in partnership with other local groups and is organizing people to commit civil disobedience if it looks like the President will approve the pipeline. See Photos and Video page for footage of past events. Email us to get involved.
4. Building support for a ban on fracking in California
SanDiego350 has organized several educational events around fracking and works with a state-wide grassroots organization to support a ban on fracking in California. See our fracking page for more info.
5. Assisting with Development of Community Choice Energy in San Diego
SanDiego350 is working with a local coalition to create Community Choice Energy options in San Diego County that will allow electricity consumers to choose a non-profit provider instead of SDG&E – with the aims of increasing the percentage of renewable energy and incentivizing more local renewable energy. How you can help: Join our team and help gather intelligence and strategize about how to move this effort forward. Email Masada for more information.Google+