SanDiego350 holds periodic workshops to train its members and members of the San Diego community in areas relevant to our work building the climate change movement, including communicating climate change, organizing, media/social media, online organizing (tech), leadership, and more.
Resources from our Climate Change Workshop for Young Climate Activists (8-16-2014)
Photo slideshow from the workshop at bottom
Note: Many materials below are stored as Google Docs. Feel free to email us if you have any difficulty accessing any of them.
Political Power, Social Movements & Activist Tactics
The Why, How, and Hope of Organizing
- Marshall Ganz: We can be actors not just spectators
- Fire it Up! – A Youth Action Manual
- Marshall Ganz organizing resources
- Student Environmental Action Coalition Organizing Guide
- Global organizing – lest you think we’re alone From 2013 power shift
- Organizing cools the planet – an awesome resource on community organizing in the climate movement
Get Uncomfortable! Climate Justice and the U.S.’s Lack of Urgency
Some other resources on the intersections of social justice and environmental activism suggested from friends at 350Vermont:
- Harsha Walia (video) presentation at 2012 PowerShift “On Anti-Oppression, Decolonization, and Responsible Allyship.
- Clayton Thomas-Muller, member of the Mathias Colomb Cree Nation, also known as Pukatawagan in Northern Manitoba, Canada. Based out of Ottawa, Ontario, Clayton is an organizer for the Defenders of the Land and Idle No More, as well as a co-director of the Indigenous Tar Sands (ITS) Campaign of the Polaris Institute
- Naomi Klein speech that she gave at the foundation convention of UNIFOR, which is now the largest private sector union in Canada, back in the fall.
- Guidelines for Being a Strong White Ally, Paul Kivel.
SMART Setting Goals and Taking Action Locally
- Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- Taking Action Locally:
- Sign the petition to support a strong Climate Action Plan!
- Pledge to be at People’s Climate March San Diego (September 21, 12:30pm @ City Hall, downtown)
- Talk about climate change in your community and get others to join the climate movement! Contact email@example.com to set up a presentation at your school, youth group, volunteer groups, etc!
- Social Media and Activism (resource from 350.org)
- Crowd Engagement: Creative approaches to community outreach & event
- How to Win Politically: Basics of Power Mapping
- Youth on the Front Lines: Direct Action and Civil Disobedience