The Building Electrification Committee supports the efforts of the San Diego Building Electrification Coalition and works towards the decarbonization of homes and buildings through education, capacity building, and advocacy around electrifying homes and buildings. Building electrification (BE) is essential to meeting California’s ambitious climate goals, improving air quality in our homes, and protecting public health.
WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON
- Building local capacity to electrify homes and buildings through advocacy and outreach, to communities and elected officials.
- Hosting educational webinars.
- Ensuring BE is a priority for local jurisdictions, through adopting building ordinances and integrating BE measures into Climate Action Plans.
- Coordinating actions with the SDBEC to ensure coalition growth.
WHAT OUR VOLUNTEERS DO
- Make public comments at local City Council meetings to advocate for BE.
- Attend meetings with local City Council Members to advocate for all-electric building codes.
- Sign on to letters to encourage action on BE.
- Participate in one of our coalition working groups: Messaging, Research, Tech training, Strategy, and Steering.
- Assist with coalition building through outreach.
- We established a coalition of 26 member organizations (now 29) to form the San Diego Building Electrification Coalition (SDBEC) that further pursues these BE advocacy efforts. The coalition is an alliance of individuals and community, labor, business, architect, developer, faith, justice, and environmental organizations coming together to advance electrification in residential and commercial buildings.
- We have organized multiple educational webinars for hundreds of people on relevant topics.
- The coalition had a major success on September 22, 2021, when the Encinitas City Council unanimously approved a robust all-electric ordinance for new construction. Encinitas is the first in San Diego County and 50th in California to do so.
How TO GET INVOLVED
The SDBEC meets monthly on the 2nd Thursday from 4:00-5:00 PM PT. Please contact SDBEC to get involved.