WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON
- Supporting youth-led campaigns, including Youth v. Oil and Plastic Free Gen Z.
- Delivering programming to develops the leadership and skills of youth leaders, including an annual Youth Climate Action Summit, summer programs, and after school programs.
- Supporting a coalition of high school eco-clubs.
- We also have volunteer teams who work on Volunteer Coordination, Education & Outreach, and Communications.
WHAT OUR VOLUNTEERS DO
- Develop educational programs to empower youth climate leaders.
- Hold interactive events, such as art builds, socials, and voter registration parties.
- Use email and social media to communicate with and engage Y4C members.
- Create petitions and collect petition signatures.
- Meet with elected officials and speak at public meetings.
- Organize youth to take action.
- Organizing and supporting youth to lead climate strikes in Sept 2019 and Sept 2021 - thousands of San Diego students striked and demanded climate action, with support from the San Diego Unified School Board.
- We’ve trained hundreds of youth climate leaders on climate science, communication, civic engagement, and activism via our Youth Climate Action Summit, Summer Camp, and other programs.
- Our Youth v. Oil campaign was successful in getting these San Diego County entities to pass resolutions calling for phasing out oil drilling in California and protecting frontline communities: San Diego City Council, San Diego Unified School Board, Sweetwater Unified School Board, San Diego County Board of Education, and UC Berkeley.